Friday 21 December 2012

Movie Review | The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Director: 

Peter Jackson

Writers: 

Fran Walsh (screenplay), Philippa Boyens(screenplay), Guillermo del Toro (screenplay), Peter Jackson (screenplay)and J.R.R. Tolkien (novel "The Hobbit")

Stars:

 Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen and Richard Armitage
(source: IMDb.com)
I was really expecting to enjoy this movie... but...
Visual/Special Effects: 5
To be honest, I am always amazed on how Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, MGM produces such excellent, almost perfect visual effects. Also, how Peter Jackson made it so realistic. In this movie, just as well as any other WB distributions (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief), has great cinematic experience and effects. I understand that they produce and distributed it not that they did the special effects but, if you hear these company names there's already the awareness following them. They produce HD and realistic visual effects that could keep you guessing whether it's fact or a camera trick. Just like those gigantic eagles, they look so real, I almost wish I could have one. Oh, and the interaction between the human characters and the virtual made characters are also quite real.

Audio/BGM/OST: 3.5
Well, fiction based on ancient kingdoms and magic are bound to have instrumental BGM, which would not be different on how they produced Harry Potter. Although, I commend the lyricist and mixer on the way they made the Dwarf songs alive and heart capturing. However, as much as I love the creative way of the movie being musically inclined, it does not satisfy me. And, more or less, the BGM does not give me any cathartic feelings. Would've rated it higher if the choice of instrumental music can easily make me feel the specific scene it is being played for. Unfortunately, I couldn't feel it and it just made me more sleepy and made the slow phasing of the movie, more obvious.

Script: 3
I haven't read any of J.R.R. Tolkien's work but did watched "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Nevertheless, I understand that this is the prequel to the epic trilogy. But, as far as the movie goes, it just goes on round and round with the adventure of Bilbo, Gandalf, and Dwarves towards The Lonely Mountain. I have nothing against the script but in my own opinion, it would've been worth it if they could have cut some of the scenes (which are actually dragging the whole movie so slowly and made it too lengthy) and change it into a more easily understandable ones. Just like the trilogy, this first part of The Hobbit Chronicles, made it's first impression quite fun and exciting but when it comes to the main points to the climax, it lacks uniqueness and cathartic events.

Plot/Story: 3.5
Haven't read the book and I do understand that this IS the PROLOGUE story before the whole LORD of the RINGS trilogy. I regret to say that the whole plot as a prologue is just too long and it kept making me fall asleep. They must have made the movie very detailed to a point because there are so many scenes being comprised in an almost 3 hour screening time. So, yeah, the whole plot would've been obvious since the beginning but with all scenes included in the first movie, it made the whole phasing of the story too slow for my taste.

Characters: 3.5
Too many characters, some not so important but seems to be important. I got really confused on who is who and which is which while watching the whole film. Among the 13 main Dwarves joining the adventure, only 4 or 5 of them are very memorable. Well, there goes Prince Thorin, Kili, Filin, and I think there's also Bolin. I never really realized the significance of the others, though, maybe they really are extra just like what they did in "The Lord of the Rings" with the band of warriors. I also have some confusion in between characters like the King of Elves. (I was totally confused there! @_@ I think there were two, right? The blonde and the dark haired king? T_T)

Cast: 4

I can commend with how Gandalf (Ian Mckenna) and Bilbo (Martin Freeman) did their role perfectly. I even saw Frodo (Elijah Wood) as having a special appearance in the beginning. The other casts also did well, considering that the whole movie was star packed. However, I couldn't see most of their acting because if they are not narrating they are just walking going on about their adventure. Only a few is considered memorable in the movie and characterized their roles perfectly.

Ending: 2.5
I was so disappointed with the ending. I understand that it's just the beginning to the endless adventure of Bilbo, but wouldn't it be good to have at least a really interesting cliff hanger than just seeing the dragon awaken from his slumber? Anything at all? Well, that's just my opinion but I hope they made something that will make the audience anticipate the sequel.

Overall: 3/5
Well, my rating says it all. I hope the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien won't hate me for this. I have nothing against the book (I HAVEN'T EVEN READ IT!) nor the film (which is basically based on the book vis-a-vis). However, I never thought I would be disappointed this much and would've expected more on such movie with such great visual details. I would've expected it to be more enjoyable and interesting, something that would make me clutch the edge of my sit or something, than how it made me feel after watching it, which would be a complete opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?